Kazuhisa Maeda, Ph.D.
University: School of Bioscience and Biotechnology,
Graduate school of Bionics, Tokyo University of Technology
Laboratory: Aesthetic Science Laboratory (Member: 16 students)
Office Address： 1404-1 Katakura, Hachioji, Tokyo 192-0982, Japan
Office Phone: +81 42 637 2442
School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kyushu University
Pharmacist license registration
Graduate school of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kyushu University
Graduate school Medical Sciences (Dermatology), Tohoku University School of Medicine
Ph. D. degree received
Shiseido Co., Ltd.,
Last position: Senior Manager, Research & Development Division,
present: School of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Graduate school of Bionics, Tokyo University of Technology
Present position: Professor
Present Duties in University:
My present duties in Tokyo University of Technology cover education and research of cosmetics science, the lecture of cosmetics science to graduate students, cosmetics science to university students, basic biology, the creativity and learning technique and the teaching of the cosmetic research to be a graduate.
I perform the cosmetic research which is combined biological science and sensibility (KANSEI) in my laboratory. Knowledge such as physiology of the skin, biochemistry, psychology, pharmacology and the KANSEI engineering is necessary for this study. The concept of the theme is as follows;
* Research and development of the formulation (prescription) of the cosmetics for sensitive skin
* Research and development of the cosmeceutical ingredient which is effective against wrinkles, sagging, spots, dark color, pores and acnes of the skin and hair growth
* A psychological and physiological study to examine the effect of fragrance on stress relaxation, sleep and appetite in humans
I always take into account the importance of value in the development of superior cosmetics that meet consumer needs, looking for a creative and original approach. I emphasize the importance of mutual trust and collaboration in business relationships.
Past Duties in Cosmetic Company:
My duties in Shiseido Co., Ltd. covered general management related to the research and development strategy, and obtaining approval of the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (MHLW) for pharmaceutical manufacturing validation and for our brand concept of the cosmeceutical products (functional cosmetics) for skin care and hair care. I was a member of the subcommittee for evaluation of whitening cosmetics in the industry panel on functional cosmetics.
The Pharmaceutical Society of Japan, The Japanese Society for Investigative Dermatology, Society Cosmetic Chemists Japan, Japanese Society for Pigment Cell Research, Japanese Society of Anti-Aging Medicine, Aroma Environment Association of Japan, Japan Society of Physiological Anthropology, Japanese Cosmetic Science Society, A member of the evaluation of functional cosmetics in the Japanese Cosmetic Science Society
Awards and Honors:
The best paper award of the first Japanese Cosmetic Science Society, the resident's prizes (product and marketing section) and the R&D's prizes of Shiseido Co. Ltd.
Work Experience in Cosmetic Company:
I am engaged in a broad range of activities from the planning of new functional cosmetics to sales support. I deal particularly with brand strategy, brand concept construction, prescription development, MHLW approval development and public information in cooperation with the marketing section, advertising section and public relations department. I have had experience with many best sellers. I am familiar with the cosmetics market, raw materials for cosmetics, cosmeceutical products and toiletries, product prescription, approval development and patents.
(1) Management of the development of new functional cosmetics (2001 - 2007)
In this field, I hold top-level knowledge. I have been involved in research and development of new cosmetics products that have greatly contributed to the profitability of the company. I monitor trends in consumer needs, the economy, society and technology, and develop a medium-term vision and a strategy for the organization. In addition, I seek value creation by preparing detailed scenarios, assigning precise tasks to each subordinate, and ensuring that the organizational environment creates value. In this way I contribute to the company's achievements by applying my knowledge, experience and leadership.
(2) Activity in cosmetics industry committees (2003 - 2007)
I participate in developing new evaluation methods as a representative of the cosmetics industry on the committee for functional cosmetics. I am well recognized in the Japanese cosmetics industry and try to help define the future direction of the industry.
(3) Collaboration with universities and raw materials companies (1986 - 2007)
I am involved in extensive collaborative research and development with universities and other companies, aiming at the development or introduction of raw materials, and have built up good relationships of mutual trust.
(4) Development of sunscreens (1986 - 1991)
* I worked on the use of PFA as an index to measure the influence of ultraviolet (UV) A rays on skin.
* I worked on the development of sunscreen products, which contain UVB and UVA absorbers, and helped the growth of the Japanese market by means of lectures to consumers about the necessity of UV defense. In addition, I studied the mechanism of aging promotion by UV rays.
(5) Development of whitening cosmetics (1986 - 1993)
* Research and development and application for approval of the active ingredient, arbutin.
* Development of whitening cosmetics which contain arbutin and technical public information.
* Clinical testing of the effectiveness of whitening cosmetics which contain arbutin.
I took the lead in the development of a new type of active ingredient, arbutin, and successfully obtained approval from MHLW. After post marketing surveillance (PMS), I was involved in prescription examination and monitoring the manufacture of many whitening products. I provided information about the effectiveness and safety of arbutin and cosmetics containing it to beauty writers, magazine journalists and consumers through lectures and publications. I continued to work on novel functional cosmetics containing arbutin, and the conventional sales total of such cosmetics has exceeded 500 billion yen. I have contributed broadly to research and development on whitening cosmetics and to the expansion of the market for whitening agents.
(6) Research on an active ingredient having plural effects, and development of cosmetics containing it (1993 - 2007)
* Research, development and approval from MHLW for the active ingredient tranexamic acid, which has both anti-roughness and whitening effects
* Development of tranexamic acid-containing products and providing technical public information
* Clinical testing of topical application of tranexamic acid emulsion to improve pigmentation in melasma and senile lentigines
I contributed significantly to the above achievements by discovering a new approach to whitening, allowing the company to recapture a top market share. The unique technical concept attracted much interest from both consumers and the media. I won many prizes, including the president's prize of Shiseido (product and marketing section) in 2005. Whitening cosmetics containing tranexamic acid were given hot seller ranking in the first half in 2005 by Nikkei marketing newspaper and won the Nikkei excellent product award and FraU's highest award for cosmetics.
(7) Development of global strategic cosmetics (1993 - 2007)
* Research and development of whitening ingredient, vitamin C ethyl
* Vitamin C ethyl-containing products and technical public information
I discovered a new whitening concept and developed a new vitamin C derivative. I was involved in obtaining approval from MHLW for the active ingredient as a cosmeceutical products. I have designed cosmetics containing vitamin C ethyl for the global market, and many products have been sold both inside and outside Japan. The associated research and development has been highly rated, with favorable comments in many newspapers and magazines (including the best paper award of the Japanese Cosmetic Science Society, and the best cosmetics award).
(8) Construction of brand concepts and anti-aging product development (2000 - 2007)
I have investigated dozens of ingredients among medical herbs and functional foods from various countries in the world to create novel products with anti-aging action (wrinkle and sagging), anti-sensitive skin activity, and activity for improvement of pores and acnes. Some of these new ingredients have been used to develop new brand concepts.
(9) Training in dermatology and molecular biology (1988 - 1993)
I studied dermatology under Professor Hachiro Tagami and Dr. Yasushi Tomita (now a professor at Nagoya University, Department of Dermatology) in the Department of Dermatology in Tohoku University School of Medicine. I received a Ph.D. degree (Tohoku University) in 1993. In addition, I studied molecular biology under the guidance of Professor Shigeki Shibahara in the Department of Molecular Biology in Tohoku University School of Medicine.